Health Promotion Clinic
The NHS Health Check programme aims to help prevent heart disease, stroke, diabetes, kidney disease and certain types of dementia. Everyone between the ages of 40 and 74, who has not already been diagnosed with one of these conditions or have certain risk factors, will be invited (once every five years) to have a check to assess their risk of heart disease, stroke, kidney disease and diabetes and will be given support and advice to help them reduce or manage that risk.
The health check programme includes:
- Blood pressure measurement
- Height, weight and waist measurement
- A lifestyle assessment, which will help you to understand how your diet and activity levels could affect your health
- Gathering information about your family medical history of heart disease, stroke, diabetes and kidney problems
- A blood test (performed before your appointment) to check your cholesterol profile, blood sugar and kidney function
All the information is used by a special program on our computer which calculates an individualised risk profile specific to you. We can then use this information to advise you how to best keep fit and healthy for the future.
The health check will take place in the practice by appointment.
Where appropriate the following can also be arranged if required:
- A hearing test
- A mental health review (by scoring system)
- A social assessment
- Lifestyle advice including help to stop smoking and accident prevention
If you would like to participate in this programme please ring or come to the surgery. Ask for a cholesterol + blood sugar blood test form. Arrange a health promotion appointment at least 1 week after the blood test.
NB: Health Checks DO NOT require a referral from your doctor.
We recommend all patients aged 65 years or over have an annual flu jab. These are given between October and December and can be arranged to coincide with the over 75 health check or in our annual flu clinics, alternatively if you are housebound the District Nurses can arrange to give you the flu jab at home. To book an appointment for a flu jab please ring our appointments line Tel 01635 8671117.