Prescription Charges and Exemptions
NHS Prescription Charges in England
- The current prescription charge is £8.80 per item (£17.60 per pair of elastic hosiery).
- A three monthly PPC* is £29.10 and could save you money if you need more than three prescribed items in three months.
- A 12-month certificate is £104.00 and could save you money if you need more than 12 prescribed items in a year.
* Prescription prepayment certificates (PPC) are available in England and they can save you money. PPCs are available by 10 monthly direct debit instalment payments. The prescription prepayment certificates allow anyone to obtain all the prescriptions they need for £2 per week.
Note: In Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales prescriptions are free of charge.
- Prescription Prepayment Certificate
- Services that provide access to free medication
- Who is entitled to free prescriptions
- Medical Exceptions
- Free Prescriptions for cancer patients
- Exemption for renal dialysis patients
- Exemption for pregnant women
- How to get help with NHS charges for people on low income
- How to claim a refund
- Important numbers